Sounders FC to Join Efforts to Honor 9/11 Memorial
Posted by: Sounders FC Public Relations
The Sounders FC will host Real Salt Lake on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field on Saturday, September 10.
RENTON, Wash. – The Seattle Sounders FC announced today plans to join in the league-wide effort to recognize and honor the “9/11 Memorial” in addition to other match day activities. The Sounders FC will host Real Salt Lake on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field on Saturday, September 10. First kick is at 1 p.m. and gates open at 11:30 a.m.
- 35,000 miniature U.S. flags will be distributed.
- A moment of silence will be observed in memory of the tragic events on September 11, 2001.
- An oversize United States flag will be presented on-field for the National Anthem.
- Twenty U.S. Army soldiers will line the red carpet during the team walk-out.
- All players, coaches and match officials will wear armbands with a “9/11 Memorial” graphic.
- Fans will be invited to raise their miniature U.S. flags from 9:00-11:00 on the game clock.
- SUBWAY® Sounders FC beanies will be distributed to the first 20,000 fans entering the stadium on behalf of SUBWAY as the match day partner.
- SUBWAY® will distribute 36,000 yellow cards featuring a coupon offer as fans enter the stadium.
- Join the Seattle Sounders FC, News Talk 97.3 KIRO FM, Great Clips and Brandon's Goal Foundation in the northwest section of Soccer Celebration to honor local youth cancer patients by shaving your head. Proceeds will benefit Seattle Children's.
Sounder Trains will be operating this Saturday from both Everett and Tacoma. Metro offers over 15 daily bus routes that stop within three blocks of CenturyLink Field. Metro Transit bus service is also available throughout the area with expanded service from Northgate, Eastgate and South Kirkland.
March to the Match
Join Sound Wave, the Sounders FC Alliance and fans as they “March to the Match.” The March will depart Occidental Park located in the heart of Pioneer Square at the intersection of Main Street and Occidental Avenue South at noon and finish just outside the Northwest Gate, where fans can enter the stadium.
Soccer Celebration activities are located at the Northwest Gate, continue inside the stadium at the North Plaza and throughout the CenturyLink Field Plaza. Activities include inflatable games, face and hair painting, sign making, music and more. Soccer Celebration activities begin at 11:30 a.m. and conclude at First Kick.