CenturyLink Field to Host World Cup Qualifier on June 11
Posted by: Sounders FC Public Relations
U.S. Soccer will be coming to Seattle this summer.
SEATTLE, Wash. – U.S. Soccer announced today the 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier between the United States and Panama will be played on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field on Tuesday, June 11. Kickoff for the match is at 6:30 p.m. PT.
Tickets will go on sale Tuesday, April 2 at 10 a.m. Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster.com, Ticketmaster by phone (800-745-3000) and the CenturyLink Field Box Office.
The seating configuration for the U.S. versus Panama match will be capped at 42,000 fans in consideration of traffic and parking concern. The Seattle Mariners host the Houston Astros at 7:10 p.m.
“Going to Seattle for a World Cup Qualifier was very high on our list because of the fantastic atmosphere,” said head coach Jurgen Klinsmann. “It was a no brainer. We knew we had to go to Seattle and the sooner the better because it will hopefully give us an advantage in our game.”
The U.S. National Team previously played one World Cup Qualifier in Seattle, beating Canada 2-0 on October 20, 1976, in front of a crowd of 17,675 at the Kingdome. CenturyLink Field previously hosted the U.S. National Team for the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2005 and 2009.
U.S. Men’s National Team in Seattle:
* The last time the USA played at CenturyLink (formerly known as Qwest Field) was on July 4, 2009, during a 4-0 victory against Grenada in the opener of the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
* The USA is 6-2-1 all-time in Washington and has won five straight.
* The 4-0 margin of victory in the MNT's last outing at CenturyLink Field tied for its largest margin of victory in the state of Washington, the MNT also beat Honduras 4-0 on March 2, 2002 at SAFECO Field.
* The U.S. is currently on a five-game winning streak in Seattle, outscoring its opponents 16-1 in goal differential during that span.
* In the 4-1 victory against Cuba in the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup, current MNT veterans Clint Dempsey and DaMarcus Beasley each tallied goals.
* Out of all the home venues for World Cup Qualifying, CenturyLink is the only one in which the MNT has played in more than once and never lost or tied, with a record of 4-0-0 while playing at the home of MLS side Seattle Sounders FC.