KIRKLAND , WASH. – The Seattle Sounders FC announced today the formation of their Members Association, activating the promise of minority owner Drew Carey to involve the fans in the decision making process of the team. Carey will serve as the association’s chairman.
“I'm very excited about what we're doing here in Seattle,” said Carey. “Where else can the fans fire the general manager? I hope this becomes a model for every professional sports organization in America.”
Fans will have a say in the direction of the franchise, including a vote on retention or lack of confidence for the general manager every four years. The first general manager vote will take place November of 2012 immediately following the Major League Soccer season.
“We learned through the ‘name the team vote’ that our fans are passionate, active and want to be involved in this democratic process,” said majority owner Joe Roth. “Members can voice their opinions on a wide variety of issues from team play to game presentation and ultimately to the performance of our management. Although membership groups like this are new to American sports, they are important to world class European soccer clubs like Real Madrid and FC Barcelona.”
All members will be invited to an annual meeting hosted by Drew Carey. The first meeting will be scheduled later this year.
In addition, members will have the opportunity to be selected to an Association Council. Council delegates will be nominated on an annual basis. Members interested in participating on the council must receive a minimum of 25 nominations from other association members. The team will begin accepting nominations in June.
Membership is complimentary for season ticket holders, and non-season ticket holders can join the association starting in June for an annual fee of $125. Benefits include: voting privilege, membership pin, membership card, discount at team shops, invitation to annual meeting, electronic newsletters during the season, and an annual report.
For information on Sounders FC Members Association and Sounders FC season tickets please visit www.soundersfc.com or call 1-877-MLS-GOAL.
Provide the members with a voice in the overall direction of the organization, including but not limited to the following:
- A vote on retention or lack of confidence in the general manager every four years
- Team play
- Game presentation
Association Voting Procedures
- Every four years, all members are invited to vote on the “retention or lack of confidence” in the General Manager. The first membership vote for general manager will occur in 2012.
- Simple majority rules and a minimum number of 10,000 members must participate in the vote.
- The first vote will take place in November, 2012 immediately following the season.
- Additional voting on various team operations.
- Ownership reserves the right to relieve the General Manager of duties for cause and/or call for a “lack of confidence” vote at any time.
- Council delegates are nominated on an annual basis.
- Members interested in participating on the Council must receive a minimum of 25 nominations from other association members.
- The Association Council will meet two times per year in addition to the annual meeting.
- Each Council delegate will serve as a liaison from the members association to the ownership group.
Association Benefits (all season ticket holders receive complimentary memberships)
- Voting privilege
- Membership Pin
- Membership Card
- Discount at team shops
- Invitation to annual meeting
- Electronic newsletters during the season
- Annual Report