RENTON, Wash. - The Sounders FC invite fans to plan ahead to avoid traffic congestion and delays due to the closure of SR 520 this weekend. The road closures begin on Friday night, September 21 at 11 p.m. and will reopen by Monday morning, September 24 at 5 a.m.
First kick for the Sounders FC versus San Jose Earthquakes is 7:30 p.m. at CenturyLink Field. General gates open at 6 p.m.
Fans should note, the Seattle Mariners will host the Texas Rangers at Safeco Field on Saturday night as well. First pitch is at 6:10 p.m.
There are plenty of transportation options for fans to access CenturyLink Field by visiting the team’s transportation guide at http://www.seahawks.com/gameday/transportation-guide/index.html.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) suggests the following tips for area drivers.
• Delay discretionary trips, especially during high traffic periods, especially between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
• Expect heavy congestion on alternate routes such as I-405, I-5 and I-90.
• Use the I-90 and I-5 express lanes, which are adjusted to help ease congestion. The express lanes will be westbound from 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and eastbound by 8:30 p.m.
• Fans from south King County are encouraged to use alternate routes including SR 509, SR 599, East Marginal Way South, Airport Way South and Fourth Avenue South.
• Drivers should expect increased congestion on local streets, especially on 108th Avenue Northeast, 112th Avenue Northeast, Northup Way and Bellevue Way Northeast.
• Check the WSDOT website, call 511 for real-time travel information and plan for delays and added travel time.
• Carpool and use transit.
For more information visit http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/WeekendClosures.htm