- Height / Weight: 6-1 / 180
- Age: 29 (06/20/1984)
- Experience: 2 Years
- Hometown: Havelock North, New Zealand
- How Acquired: Selected from Toronto in the MLS Expansion Draft on November 26, 2008
- Previous Clubs: Toronto (2008) , Hawke’s Bay (New Zealand, 2007-08)
- First overall selection in 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft
- Made 20 appearances his first season in MLS, starting six for Toronto
- Plays for the New Zealand National Team
- Coach Sigi Schmid: "Jarrod’s a hard-working forward who’s dangerous in the box."
2008: Selected first round, first overall in 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft by Toronto. In first MLS season, played in 20 games, starting six. Scored first MLS goal in 3-2 win at Los Angeles (4/13). Started all 10 appearances in reserve divisions, scoring two goals and logging 814 minutes.
Other Professional Experience
Played for New Zealand club Hawke’s Bay United in 2007-08. Made nine appearances and scored three goals.
Member of New Zealand National Team. Made debut vs. Malaysia on February 23, 2006. Among his appearances was as a substitute in 2006 versus Brazil. Played on U-20 and U-23 teams, including the latter’s qualifying stages for 2008 Olympic Games.
Consensus All-America and Hermann Award finalist as a senior. All-Big East as junior and senior. Totaled 32 goals in 74 appearances at West Virginia, ranking No. 5 for career. Scored 14 goals in just 16 appearances as a senior. Set Big East single season conference records for goals (12) and total points (28) in 2006.
Son of Louise and Ian Smith. Sport management major at WVU. Father, Ian Smith, was a famous New Zealand cricketer and now a broadcast commentator and analyst.