The Sounders FC Homestay Program offers young players from around the country a unique opportunity to train and play with the Sounders FC Academy. These committed athletes have been identified by the Sounders recruiting department as individuals with the talent to develop as players within the Academy and make their way to the first team.
Sharing your home with a Sounders FC player will provide a unique and enriching opportunity for your entire family!
- Experience the reward of helping a young athlete achieve his dreams
- Support the Sounders FC MLS Cup Champions by directly contributing to the future of the club’s player development
- Deepen your connection with the Club and the entire Sounders FC community
- Monthly stipend of $750 per player
- Two tickets to every Sounders FC 2020 home match
- Academy community support throughout the year, including management of players’ NCAA eligibility and academic schedules by our in-house Head of Education
- The family will welcome the player into their home and coordinate with the player’s family as needed to ensure a smooth transition.
The player will have his own room that includes a bed, a desk and chair, sufficient storage space, an internet connection, smoke detector in or by the player’s bedroom, linens/blankets/pillows/towels, laundry facility with detergent, and a bathroom (can be shared) with ample space for toiletries.
- Nutrition is a very important part of these young athletes' life. The host family will provide balanced meals along with healthy snack options. Nutrition guidelines and support is offered to the host families by the Sounders Performance Staff.
- Transportation to and from school, practices and the airport on travel weekends will be provided by the host family. Host families should expect players to practice at least four days a week at the Starfire facility in Tukwila, and to have games most weekends. (If the player has his own car, it is his responsibility for maintenance, gas and insurance.)
Can’t host, but know someone who can?
- Refer a host family and get rewarded!
- If your referral is approved to join the Homestay Program, you will receive your choice of tickets to a home Sounders match, signed Sounders FC memorabilia, or an invite to one of our exclusive Sounders FC events!*
Watch Sounders FC Academy player Nicholas Hinds and his Homestay family, the Tufts, describe the Homestay experience.
For more information about becoming a host family, please email Lauren Babcock, Academy Administrator at LaurenB@soundersfc.com or call 206- 267-7815. After the application is complete, a phone interview will be scheduled, followed by an in-house visit and finally a background check for all those who are 18 and older living in the home.
- *To qualify for the reward, your referred family has to be approved.
"It’s been fun and incredibly rewarding having Caleb live with our family! We really enjoy his company and it’s been great to support his development as both a soccer player and a person.” - Sabrina Lee, host parent for Caleb Powell
“We've been so proud of every player that has come into our home. We've helped them strive to do better and each one has done so. As a family that has a love for soccer we have been great to help support the Sounders Youth and hopefully each player has a future with the First Team or a career in college.” - Laura Ashley Besonson, current host parent for Bryson Hankins (pictured), Danny Leyva and Antino Lopez
“We are very fortunate to be part of the Sounders community. We originally became a host family to give back to the Sounders Academy, but we have gained much more. The relationship we have developed with both Austin and his family will be lifelong. Watching our kids welcome a new member of the family, navigating the challenges and making adjustments, enjoying the positives has been rewarding for us all. “ - Lynda Baker, host parent for Austin Brummett
"The host family program is great for any kid trying to reach their dreams of becoming a professional player. It's hard being away from your family so having a support system with the homestay family is crucial to stay focused on our goals." - First Team player, Danny Leyva with his current host family, the Besonson family.