Sounders FC will face Club Tijuana at CenturyLink Field on March 24. Here are five reasons why you should not miss this matchup between dominant clubs from MLS and Liga MX.
1) Historical Success: By winning a title in 2012, Tijuana became the fastest club to win a championship following promotion to Mexico’s top flight. Tijuana also made it to the semifinals of the 2013-14 CONCACAF Champions League, defeating the LA Galaxy 4-3 on aggregate in the quarterfinals.
2) Current Success: After finishing 11th and missing the playoffs last season, the Xolos are back near the top of the standings six matches into the 2014-15 Clausura campaign. They are currently 4-1-1, including victories over the top two sides from last season.
3) Prolific Attack: Led by Colombian striker Dayro Moreno (four goals), the club has found the back of the net a league-high 13 times through the first six matches of the current season.
4) American Players: Club Tijuana has seven American players on its roster, five of which are age 20 or younger and have played for the U.S. Youth National Teams. Men’s National Team midfielder Joe Corona is the most notable American on the squad.
5) Strong Fan Base: It’s likely that the Xolos will be well supported at CenturyLink Field, as many of their fans are based in the USA. It has been estimated that 20 to 30 percent of people at Tijuana games make the trip across the border from California. The largest supporter group for the club calls itself “La Massacre” (the Massacre).