In a groundbreaking media rights agreement, Sounders FC and Amazon Prime Video today announced a new deal that sees the iconic Seattle-based brand become the official video streaming partner of the Rave Green. Prime Video is now the sole digital streaming destination for all non-nationally televised Sounders FC matches throughout the club’s home broadcast territory, marking just the second time Prime Video has reached a streaming agreement with a sports franchise, and the first deal with a professional soccer club. Starting with Sounders FC’s August 26 match at the LA Galaxy, the three-year agreement is set to run through the 2022 Major League Soccer season.
“At Sounders FC, we often refer to ourselves as a family, and that notion extends to the greater Seattle community. When I think about our hometown, few brands are as closely associated with Seattle’s sense of innovation and ingenuity as Amazon,” said Sounders FC Owner Adrian Hanauer. “This is a proud day for our club, as we’re now able to bring our fans Sounders FC matches on the world’s premier video streaming service through a company that is synonymous with our city’s culture. On behalf of our organization, I am thrilled to welcome Amazon and Prime Video to the Sounders family.”
With the 2020 MLS regular season resuming in just five days, all regionally televised Sounders FC MLS matches will now be available on Prime Video with a Prime membership. Sounders FC’s regional broadcast territory extends throughout the entirety of Washington State – inclusive of the traditional Seattle-Tacoma-Everett television DMA and key population centers like Spokane, Yakima, Tri-Cities and Vancouver, Wash. Simply put, fans everywhere in the Evergreen State are now able to watch the Rave Green via Prime Video. Fans can watch at home or on the go across hundreds of compatible devices, including smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire tablet, Apple TV, Chromecast, game consoles, Comcast X1, or from the web. JOEtv continues to be the regional television home of the Rave Green, alongside radio partners Sports Radio 950 KJR AM and El Rey 1360 AM.
“We’re excited to join forces with Sounders FC to give Prime members around Washington State access to all regionally broadcast MLS matches on Prime Video over the next three seasons,” said Marie Donoghue, VP of Global Sports Video at Amazon. “Sounders FC is a fundamental part of our culture here in the Pacific Northwest, and as a club they have always been at the forefront of innovation in professional sports. We share this common vision for innovation at Prime Video, and are committed to delighting fans and enhancing the value of a Prime membership through sports, and we believe this deal accomplishes just that.”
Joining Prime Video’s robust collection of Amazon Originals, TV shows, movies, sports, and more, Sounders FC is the first team with club-specific content available via their dedicated team page, which will house live and archived regional Sounders FC matches, highlights, player interviews, press conferences, and more.
Following Major League Soccer’s recent schedule announcement, Sounders FC is set to play its first match following the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando on Sunday, August 23 against the Portland Timbers at Providence Park (7:00 p.m. PT / FS1). The initial slate of six matches includes other road fixtures against the LA Galaxy on August 26 – the club’s first scheduled match on Amazon Prime Video – and Real Salt Lake on September 2 (6:30 p.m., PT / JOEtv, Prime Video). The club returns to CenturyLink Field for the first time since March with an August 30 home date against Los Angeles FC (7:00 p.m. PT / FS1), with other home matches scheduled against Portland on September 6 (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, Prime Video) and San Jose on September 10 (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, Prime Video). Due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis, these home matches are scheduled to be played without fans.
As with the MLS is Back Tournament, COVID-19 testing protocols again play an important role in MLS’ competition framework. MLS continues to work closely with the league’s infectious disease advisors as well as advisors for the MLSPA on the plan for testing. All clubs are forming testing partnerships with a local certified lab, and all players, technical staff and essential club staff are being tested every other day, including the day before each match day. Also, guidelines are being provided to players, coaches and essential staff to avoid the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 during their time away from club facilities.
ABOUT PRIME VIDEO
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of TV shows, movies, sport and more — all available to watch on practically any device.
- Included with Prime Video: Watch tons of popular movies and TV shows, award-winning Amazon Originals and other exclusives, sports, and more. Think Emmy Award-winners Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Mindy Kaling’s Late Night, Donald Glover’s Guava Island, Troop Zero, Academy Award-nominated The Big Sick, The Boys, Homecoming, Thursday Night Football and licensed and self-published content. Prime Video is available in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide (offers and titles vary based on location).
- Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, SHOWTIME, CBS All Access, NBA League Pass and MLB.tv — no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
- Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, with special deals just for Prime members.
- Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV. For a complete list of compatible devices, visit amazon.com/howtostream.
- Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many benefits included with a Prime membership, along with fast free shipping on millions of items at Amazon.com, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, and access to ad-free music and Kindle ebooks. To sign-up or start a free trial of Amazon Prime visit: amazon.com/prime.
ABOUT SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC
Winner of the 2019 and 2016 MLS Cup, 2014 MLS Supporters' Shield and four Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup championships (2009, 2010, 2011, 2014), Sounders FC is Seattle's Major League Soccer franchise. The club received an MLS charter on November 13, 2007 and has set a league record by qualifying for the MLS Cup Playoffs in every year of its existence. Sounders FC reached a milestone in 2016 as the franchise claimed its first MLS Cup championship, before earning its second title in 2019, hoisting the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy in front of a home crowd of 69,274 fans. Since the club's debut MLS season in 2009, Sounders FC has set the standard for soccer support in North America, leading the league in attendance for eight consecutive seasons (2009-2016) and routinely ranking in the top 30 in attendance among all professional teams internationally. Prior to joining MLS, the Seattle Sounders organization has been a part of the greater Seattle community and U.S. Soccer professional scene since 1974.