KANSAS CITY, KANSAS – Jordan Morris set a franchise single-match record with four goals, as Sounders FC (3-1-1, 10 points) defeated Sporting Kansas City (0-3-2, 2 points) on Saturday evening at Children’s Mercy Park. Léo Chú also set a club record with four assists, as the Rave Green earned their first road win of 2023.
After Sporting Kansas City struck first in the fifth minute courtesy of William Agada, Seattle equalized in the 23rd minute with the first of Morris’ four strikes. Chú sprinted the ball up the left flank and sent a low cross to Morris, who was able to finish the one-touch chance right in front of goal to level the match.
Morris scored his second in the 54th minute, once again courtesy of a Chú assist. After João Paulo found Chú with a pass inside the area, the Brazilian threaded the ball past the defense to the feet of Morris, who finished between the goalkeeper’s legs to take the lead.
Morris found his hat trick in the 69th minute on an assist from Nico Lodeiro. Following a pass by Chú that found Lodeiro in space on the left wing, Seattle’s captain played in a looping cross that Morris stabbed home.
The Mercer Island native scored his club-record fourth goal in the 77th minute on Chú’s club-record fourth assist of the match. Chú’s cross from the left found Morris at the far post, who slammed his header past SKC goalkeeper John Pulskamp.
Following today’s match, Sounders FC travels to take on the LA Galaxy on Saturday, April 1 at Dignity Health Sports Park (4:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, FOX, iHeart Media, El Rey 1360 AM).
- Sounders FC now sits in second place in the Western Conference with 10 points (3-1-1). St. Louis CITY SC leads the conference with 15 points (5-0-0).
- Seattle is now 12-10-4 all-time against Sporting Kansas City in regular-season play, including a 6-5-2 road record.
- Starting up top for the first time since October 2, 2022 (also against Sporting Kansas City), Jordan Morris set a club record with four goals and now leads MLS with seven goals in 2023. It marks the 16th time in league history that a player has scored four goals, with Clint Mathis holding the league record of five set in 2000.
- Morris’ seven career goals against Sporting Kansas City are the most of any Seattle player in club history.
- This marked the seventh multi-goal game in MLS regular-season play for Morris. The Homegrown Player also scored a hat trick in the 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs against FC Dallas.
- Making his first start of 2023, Léo Chú set a club record with four assists, his first of 2023, tied for first in MLS. Chú breaks the previous franchise record of three, accomplished five times (Rosales, Evans, Lodeiro, Rowe, Morris).
- This marked Seattle’s first road win since July 2, 2022 at Toronto FC.
- Sporting Kansas City played most of the final half hour of the match with 10 men after Ben Sweat was issued his second yellow card in the 63rd minute.
- Today marked the 100th career appearance for Yeimar Gómez Andrade across all competitions for Sounders FC.
- With the start tonight, Josh Atencio made his 50th career MLS regular-season appearance.
- Cristian Roldan made his fourth career start at right back and first since June 23, 2018 against Chicago.
- Albert Rusnák started on the right wing for the first time since February 24, 2022 against Motagua in Concacaf Champions League play (he also started four games on the left wing in September and October of last season).
- Kelyn Rowe made his first start of the season this evening at left back.
- Homegrown Player Sota Kitahara made his MLS debut when he came on as a late substitute for the Rave Green.
Seattle Sounders FC 4 – Sporting Kansas City 1
Saturday, March 25, 2023
Venue: Children’s Mercy Park
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistants: Chris Wattam, Meghan Mullen
Fourth Official: Jon Freemon
VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.
Weather: 55 degrees and clear
SKC – William Agada 5’
SEA – Jordan Morris (Léo Chú) 23’
SEA – Jordan Morris (Léo Chú, João Paulo) 54’
SEA – Jordan Morris (Nico Lodeiro, Léo Chú) 69’
SEA – Jordan Morris (Léo Chú, Albert Rusnák) 77’
SKC – Ben Sweat (caution) 53’
SKC – Ben Sweat (ejection) 63’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Cristian Roldan (Stoa Kitahara 87’), Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Kelyn Rowe (Ethan Dobbelaere 84’); João Paulo (Danny Leyva 84’), Josh Atencio, Albert Rusnák, Nico Lodeiro, Léo Chú (Fredy Montero 78’); Jordan Morris (Dylan Teves 84’)
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Jacob Castro, Abdoulaye Cissoko
Total shots: 13
Shots on goal: 7
Sporting Kansas City – John Pulskamp; Ben Sweat, Andreu Fontas, Robert Voloder, Graham Zusi (Jake Davis 84’); Roger Espinoza (Felipe Hernández 46’), Erik Thommy (Cam Duke 70’), Remi Walter; Khiry Shelton (Johnny Russell 61’), Daniel Salloi, Willy Agada (Danny Flores 84’)
Substitutes not used: Tim Melia, Alan Pulido, Robert Castellanos, Chris Rindov
Total shots: 7
Shots on goal: 3
- SOUNDERS FC -