Seattle Sounders FC (11-15-3, 36 points) came from behind to earn a 2-1 win over Houston Dynamo FC (8-15-15, 29 points) on Sunday evening at Lumen Field. After falling behind 1-0 in the first half, Nouhou scored his first career goal to level the match before Fredy Montero found the winner in the 76th minute to give Seattle all three points. With five matches remaining in the 2022 MLS regular season, Sounders FC sits in ninth place in the Western Conference, six points behind seventh-place LA Galaxy. Four of Seattle’s five remaining fixtures come against Western Conference opponents.
Houston struck first in the 26th minute via a set piece. After Stefan Frei punched away a corner kick, the ball fell to the feet Houston’s Adalberto Carrasquilla, who fired a shot at goal that was deflected in by Daniel Steres to give the visitors the early lead.
Sounders FC equalized 59th minute on Nouhou’s first career goal. After Houston’s defense was unable to clear the ball after Raúl Ruidíaz’s point-blank shot was blocked, Nouhou was there to pounce with a right-footed strike to level the score.
Montero found the winner for the Rave Green in the 76th minute with his 75th career goal for Sounders FC across all competitions, the most in club history. Albert Rusnák played Nouhou down the left flank for a looping cross across the face of goal that found the head of Montero, who headed in the winner.
Brian Schmetzer’s side stays at home to face Austin FC on Saturday, September 10 at Lumen Field (5:00 p.m. PT / FOX 13+, Prime Video, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
• With today’s result, Sounders FC remains below the line in the race for the 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs, currently sitting in ninth place in the Western Conference, six points behind seventh-place LA Galaxy.
• Five matches remain in Seattle’s 2022 regular-season campaign, including four against Western Conference opponents.
• This marks the 24th time these two teams have faced off in the regular season, with Seattle holding a 13-5-6 advantage in the series. Including postseason play, the Rave Green have lost just once in the past 11 meetings (10-1-0)
• Nouhou’s goal in the 59th minute marked his first career goal in all competitions for Seattle. The Cameroon international joined the Rave Green in 2017, has made 136 regular-season appearances.
• Montero’s goal in the 76th minute marked his 75th across all competitions for Montero for the Rave Green, the most in club history. The strike was his sixth of the season across all competitions and third in MLS play.
• Nicolás Lodeiro saw a penalty kick saved in the second half of tonight’s match, the first time Seattle’s captain has ever missed from the spot in regular-season play. Coming into tonight, the Uruguayan was a perfect 18-for-18 since signing with Sounders FC in 2016.
• Seattle Head Coach Brian Schmetzer returned to a 4-2-3-1 this match, with only two changes to the starting XI from Wednesday’s 3-2 loss at Orlando, with Xavier Arreaga and Josh Atencio replacing Jackson Ragen and Jimmy Medranda.
Seattle Sounders FC 2 – Houston Dynamo FC 1
Sunday, September 4, 2022
Venue: Lumen Field
Referee: Silviu Petrescu
Assistants: Frank Anderson, Diego Blas
Fourth Official: Ricardo Fierro
VAR: Kevin Stott
Weather: 71 degrees and cloudy
HOU – Daniel Steres (Adalberto Carrasquilla) 26’
SEA – Nouhou 59’
SEA – Fredy Montero (Nouhou, Nico Lodeiro) 76’
HOU – Griffin Dorsey (caution) 63’
SEA – Fredy Montero (caution) 77’
SEA – Albert Rusnák (caution) 85’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Yeimar Gómez Andrade, Xavier Arreaga, Nouhou; Alex Roldan, Josh Atencio (Kelyn Rowe 83’), Danny Leyva (Fredy Montero 56’), Albert Rusnák; Nico Lodeiro; Jordan Morris, Raúl Ruidíaz
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Jackson Ragen, Jimmy Medranda, Ethan Dobbelaere, Dylan Teves, Will Bruin
Total shots: 20
Shots on goal: 4
Houston Dynamo FC – Steve Clark; Sam Junqua, Daniel Steres, Tim Parker (Teenage Hadebe 56’), Griffin Dorsey; Memo Rodríguez (Brooklyn Raines 39’, Ethan Bartlow 73’), Matías Vera, Adalberto Carrasquilla; Fabrice-Jean Picault, Sebastián Ferreira (Thorleifur Úlfarsson 73’), Corey Baird (Nelson Quiñónes 73’)
Substitutes not used: Michael Nelson, Adam Lundqvist, Zarek Valentin, Darwin Quintero
Total shots: 4
Shots on goal: 3