Sounders FC (4-6-1, 13 points) fell 1-0 Sunday evening to the Colorado Rapids (5-5-3, 18 points) at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. Jonathan Lewis scored the game’s lone goal for the home side as Seattle saw its two-match winning streak snapped. It marks the end of a stretch of three matches in eight days for Sounders FC, who defeated Minnesota last Sunday and Houston on Wednesday.
Colorado scored the game’s lone goal in the 50th minute, when a Diego Rubio cross from the right flank was deflected by Stefan Frei into the body of Seattle defender Yeimar before Lewis poked it into the back of the net.
Following tonight's match, the Rave Green host 2022 MLS expansion side Charlotte FC on Sunday, May 29 at Lumen Filed (6:30 p.m. PT / FS1, FOX Deportes, 93.3 KJR FM, El Rey 1360 AM).
• Sounders FC saw its two-match winning streak snapped and is now 4-6-1 in league play, ranking 12th in the Western Conference with 13 points.
• Seattle is now 22-8-4 all-time against Colorado (including postseason play), with a 8-6-3 record at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park.
• Head Coach Brian Schmetzer deployed a 5-4-1 formation with two changes from Wednesday’s match at Houston: Obed Vargas and Jackson Ragen replacing Nico Lodeiro and Alex Roldan.
• Lodeiro remained in Seattle following the birth of his child, while Roldan was suspended after receiving two yellow cards on Wednesday in Houston.
• Vargas started today’s match after serving a one-game suspension on Wednesday due to yellow card accumulation.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – Colorado Rapids 1
Sunday, May 22, 2022
Venue: Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
Referee: Tim Ford
Assistants: Jeremy Hanson, Ian Anderson
Fourth Official: Chris Ruska
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivera
Weather: 55 degrees and clear
COL – Jonathan Lewis 50’
SEA – Obed Vargas (caution) 45’+1’
SEA – Yeimar (caution) 46’
COL – Keegan Rosenberry (caution) 53’
COL – Bryan Acosta (caution) 71’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Kelyn Rowe (Fredy Montero 73’), Yeimar, Xavier Arreaga (Jimmy Medranda 73’), Jackson Ragen, Nouhou; Albert Rusnák, Obed Vargas (Josh Atencio 80’), Cristian Roldan, Jordan Morris (Will Bruin 80’); Raúl Ruidíaz
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Ethan Dobbelaere, Léo Chú
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 3
Colorado Rapids – William Yarbrough; Keegan Rosenberry, Danny Wilson, Lalas Abubakar, Steven Beitashour; Mark-Anthony Kaye (Jonathan Lewis 40’), Jack Price (Gustavo Vallecilla 90’+6’), Bryan Acosta (Collen Warner 80’), Anthony Markanich; Diego Rubio (Max 90’+6’), Michael Barrios (Nicolas Mezquida 81’)
Substitutes not used: Clint Irwin, Drew Moor, Sebastian Anderson, Darren Yapi
Total shots: 16
Shots on goal: 4