SEATTLE, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC (10-9-6, 36 points) fell 2-0 to Atlanta United FC (10-7-8, 38 points) Sunday evening on the Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field. Giorgos Giakoumakis scored a brace for the visitors, as the Rave Green dropped they return to MLS action following nearly a three-week break from competitive action for Leagues Cup 2023. Brian Schmetzer’s side now embarks on a two-match road trip, beginning on Sunday, August 27 at Minnesota United FC (1:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV – Watch Free, FOX, 93.3 KJR FM, El Rey 1360 AM) before heading to face Austin FC on Wednesday, August 30 (5:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
- Following tonight’s loss, Sounders FC remains on 36 points for the season through 25 matches played (10-9-6), with the Rave Green currently occupying fourth place in Major League Soccer’s Western Conference, one point behind LAFC and Real Salt Lake, and eight points behind conference-leading St. Louis.
- Goalkeeper Stefan Frei became Seattle’s all-time leader in club appearances tonight, reaching 340 since 2014 (MLS era only). The previous holder of this record, midfielder Osvaldo Alonso, was on hand tonight as an Atlanta United player. Alonso presented Frei with a framed jersey to commemorate the occasion in a pre-match ceremony. In addition to the all-time club appearance record, Frei has set franchise records in every goalkeeping category, leading Sounders FC to five major titles in the process. He leads MLS in shutouts this season (11).
- In the all-time series dating back to Atlanta’s inaugural season in 2017, Seattle moves to 1-2-3. At Lumen Field, the Rave Green are now 1-1-2 against the Five Stripes.
- With the start tonight, fullback Alex Roldan made his 150th all-time appearance for Sounders FC in all competitions. The Seattle University product has been a mainstay for the Rave Green, joining the club in 2018 as the 22nd overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft.
- New addition Paul Rothrock made his official Lumen Field debut in Rave Green tonight, coming into the match as a 68th-minute substitute after being unveiled earlier this week. Rothrock, a Sounders FC Academy product, notably scored three goals in three appearances for Sounders FC earlier this year via short-term agreements prior to signing his new deal. After finding the net in a pair of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches against San Diego Loyal SC (April 26) and LA Galaxy (May 10), Rothrock scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 regular-season win at Houston (May 13).
- Atlanta United forward Giorgos Giakoumakis recorded a brace in tonight’s match, good for his 11th and 12th goals of the year. The Greek international is now tied for second place in the MLS Golden Boot race.
- Prior to tonight’s match, Sounders FC honored former Sounders Gonzalo Pineda and Garth Lagerwey. Pineda, a former Sounders FC player and assistant coach on Brian Schmetzer’s staff, is currently Head Coach of the Five Stripes, while Garth Lagerwey, who served as General Manager & President of Soccer for Seattle, is now the Georgia club’s President & CEO. Lagerwey received a commemorative watch in recognition of the 2022 Concacaf Champions League title, presented by Owner Adrian Hanauer on behalf of the club.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – Atlanta United FC 2
Sunday, August 20, 2023
Venue: Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistants: Jeremy Hanson, Kali Smith
Fourth Official: Mark Allatin
VAR: Kevin Terry Jr.
Weather: 75 degrees and smoke
ATL – Giorgos Giakoumakis (Brooks Lennon) 11’
ATL – Giorgos Giakoumakis (Thiago Alamada) 65’
SEA – Yeimar (caution) 8’
ATL – Thiago Almeda (caution) 26’
ATL – Edwin Mosquera (caution) 64’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Nouhou (Reed Baker-Whiting); João Paulo (Obed Vargas 68’), Albert Rusnák, Jordan Morris, Nico Lodeiro (Fredy Montero 68’), Léo Chú (Paul Rothrock 68’); Raúl Ruidíaz
Substitutes not used: Andrew Thomas, Xavier Arreaga, Josh Atencio, Ethan Dobbelaere, Héber
Total shots: 16
Shots on goal: 2
Atlanta United FC – Brad Guzan; Luis Abram, Brooks Lennon, Miles Robinson, Caleb Wiley; Tristan Muyumba Nkita (Juan Jose Purata 86’), Thiago Almada, Matheus Rossetto (Osvaldo Alonso 77’), Edwin Mosquera (Amar Sejdic 78’); Giorgos Giakoumakis (Miguel Berry 86’), Xande Silva (Tyler Wolff 66’)
Substitutes not used: Ronald Hernandez, Santiago Sosa, Derrick Etienne Jr., Quentin Westberg
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 7
- SOUNDERS FC -