Sounders FC (12-9-9, 45 points) earned a 2-1 road win over the Colorado Rapids (4-14-10, 22 points) on Wednesday evening at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. Léo Chú and Albert Rusnák scored for the visitors, as Seattle sweeps the season series with Colorado following a 4-0 home win back on February 26. With the win, the Rave Green jump back into second place in the Western Conference with four games remaining in the 2023 MLS regular season.
Chú opened the scoring for Seattle in the 34th minute. The Brazilian received a ball from João Paulo on the left side of the area, cutting inside before firing a shot past Colorado's Marko Illic into the right side of the net. The goal marked Chú's fifth of the season in all competitions to go along with his nine assists.
Rusnák doubled Seattle's lead in the 56th minute, flying into the 18-yard-box to head home a Cristian Roldan cross sent in from the right side of the area. The strike was good for the Slovakian's fourth goal of the season and Roldan's second assist.
The hosts pulled one back in the 80th minute courtesy of Cole Bassett, but the Rave Green were able to hold onto the victory and leave Colorado with three points. Brian Schmetzer’s side now has four points through two games of a three-match road stretch, which concludes next Saturday, September 30 at Nashville SC (5:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
• Sounders FC jumps back into second place in the Western Conference with 45 points (12-9-9), five points behind first-place St. Louis and one point ahead of third-place LAFC, with four matches remaining in the 2023 MLS regular season.
• Wednesday’s win extends Seattle’s unbeaten streak to five games (2-0-3) dating back to August 27.
• Sounders FC is now 25-8-4 all-time against the Rapids in MLS regular-season and postseason play. The 25 wins are the most over any opponent in club history for Seattle.
• Following Saturday’s road draw at FC Dallas, Brian Schmetzer’s side has now taken four points through the first two matches of its three-game road stretch, which concludes next Saturday, September 30 against Nashville SC.
• Léo Chú’s opening goal marked his fifth of the season, tied for second on the team with Raúl Ruidíaz. The Brazilian’s eight assists in MLS play this season also rank second on the team.
• Albert Rusnák’s game-winning goal marked his fourth strike of the season and 48th career goal in MLS regular season play.
• Cristian Roldan returned to the starting XI this evening for the first time since July 22 (concussion protocol), recording his second assist of the season on Rusnák’s goal. He returned to action on Saturday at FC Dallas with a substitute appearance.
• With the assist on Chú’s goal, João Paulo now has four on the season and 21 in MLS play since coming to Seattle prior to the 2020 season.
• After being cautioned in the first half, Nouhou is now suspended for next Saturday's match at Nashville SC due to yellow card accumulation.
• Raul Ruidíaz did not travel with the team to Colorado after suffering hamstring tightness earlier in the week.
Seattle Sounders FC 2 – Colorado Rapids 1
Wednesday, September 20, 2023
Venue: Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
Referee: Filip Dujic
Assistants: Jeremy Hanson, Jeffrey Greeson
Fourth Official: Malik Badawi
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: 71 degrees and clear
SEA – Léo Chú (João Paulo) 34’
SEA – Albert Rusnák (Cristian Roldan) 56’
COL – Cole Bassett 80’
SEA – Nouhou (caution) 40’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Nouhou (Reed Baker-Whiting 81’); João Paulo (Xavier Arreaga 86’), Josh Atencio, Cristian Roldan (Obed Vargas 65’), Albert Rusnák, Léo Chú (Nico Lodeiro 81’); Jordan Morris
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Ethan Dobbelaere, Paul Rothrock, Fredy Montero, Héber
Total shots: 11
Shots on goal: 3
Colorado Rapids – Marco Illic; Keegan Rosenberry, Andreas Maxso, Andrew Gutman, Moise Bombito; Sidnei Tavares (Ralph Priso 46’), Connor Ronan (Diego Rubio 62’), Cole Bassett; Rafael Navarro (Darren Yapi 87’), Calvin Harris (Braian Galván 63’), Kevin Cabral (Luis Díaz 62’)
Substitutes not used: Abraham Rodriguez, Danny Wilson, Lalas Abubakar, Danny Leyva
Total shots: 11
Shots on goal: 2