CARSON, CALIF. – Sounders FC fell 3-1 to the LA Galaxy on Wednesday evening in the 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 32 at Dignity Health Sports Park. Paul Rothrock scored the lone goal for Seattle, who is now eliminated from the domestic single-elimination tournament.
The Galaxy struck early courtesy of defender Julían Aude in the third minute of play. The Argentinian tracked down a loose ball outside the area and launched a shot from distance that beat Stefan Cleveland at his near post. The home side made it 2-0 in the 66th minute off a corner kick, with Jalen Neal back-heeling the initial service to Memo Rodríguez, who finished past Cleveland.
Seattle pulled one back moments later, with Rothrock – one of six Tacoma Defiance players signed to short-term agreements for the match – heading in a cross from teammate Ethan Dobbelaere. It marked the second First Team goal in as many games for Rothrock, who also found the net in Seattle’s 5-4 win over San Diego Loyal SC in the Open Cup’s Third Round on April 26.
Rodríguez completed his brace for the home side in the 84th minute, ending Seattle’s run in this season’s Open Cup tournament.
Sounders FC continues its two-match road trip this week and returns to MLS action with a matchup against Houston Dynamo FC on Saturday, May 13 at Shell Energy Stadium (5:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, iHeartMedia, El Rey 1360 AM).
- Sounders FC’s all-time record in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play moves to 24-7-5 dating back to 2009. The Rave Green are now 4-5-3 on the road in that span.
- Seattle is now eliminated from 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play. Sounders FC is a four-time winner of the Open Cup (2009-2011, 2014), tied with the Chicago Fire and Sporting Kansas City for the most titles among MLS Clubs.
- Wednesday’s match was Seattle’s second contest in 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play, and the Rave Green’s second meeting against LA in 2023. Sounders FC defeated the Galaxy 2-1 in MLS regular-season action on April 1.
- The Rave Green advanced to the Round of 32 following a 5-4 win over San Diego Loyal SC in the Third Round on April 26. This marked the first Open Cup fixture for the Galaxy, who entered the tournament in the Round of 32.
- The last time these two teams met in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play was back in 2016, with the Galaxy defeating Seattle 4-2 in the Quarterfinals in Southern California.
- With the goal this evening, Paul Rothrock has scored in both of his First Team appearances this season. The Tacoma Defiance midfielder tallied a strike in Sounders FC’s 5-4 Third Round win over San Diego Loyal SC on April 26.
- João Paulo and Nico Lodeiro both came on as late substitutes, marking the first career Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup appearance for each player.
- Six Tacoma Defiance players were eligible for tonight’s match via short-term agreements. Cody Baker and Paul Rothrock were in today’s starting XI, while Eythor Bjørgolfsson, Travian Sousa and Georgi Minoungou came on as second-half substitutes. It marked the First Team debuts for both Bjørgolfsson and Minoungou.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 – LA Galaxy 3
Wednesday, May 10, 2023
Venue: Dignity Health Sports Park
Referee: Matt Geringer
Assistants: Chris Elliott, Eduardo Jeff
Fourth Official: Servando Berna Rico
Weather: 62 degrees and mostly sunny
LA – Julián Aude 3’
LA – Memo Rodríguez (Tyler Boyd) 66’
SEA – Paul Rothrock (Ethan Dobbelaere) 68’
LA – Memo Rodríguez (Dejan Joveljic) 84’
LA – Chicharito (caution) 41’
SEA – Cody Baker (caution) 54’
LA – Raheem Edwards (caution) 80’
SEA – João Paulo (caution) 86’
LA – Gastón Brugman (caution) 87’
LINEUPS & STATS
Sounders FC – Stefan Cleveland; Reed Baker-Whiting, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Xavier Arreaga, Cody Baker* (Travian Sousa* 64’); Josh Atencio, Sota Kitahara (João Paulo 77’); Ethan Dobbelaere (Georgi Minoungou* 77’), Dylan Teves (Eythor Bjørgolfsson* 64’), Paul Rothrock* (Nico Lodeiro 83’); Fredy Montero
Substitutes not used: Andrew Thomas, Hal Uderitz*
*Tacoma Defiance player on short-term agreement
Total shots: 8
Shots on goal: 3
LA Galaxy – Jonathan Bond; Julián Aude (Uri Rosell 81’), Jalen Neal, Martín Cáceres, Calegari; Gino Vivi (Memo Rodríguez 64’), Riqui Puig, Gastón Brugman, Mark Delgado (Daniel Aguirre 81’); Tyler Boyd (Raheem Edwards 72’), Chicharito (Dejan Joveljic 64’)
Substitutes not used: Eriq Zavaleta, Jonathan Klinsmann
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 4
- SOUNDERS FC -