SEATTLE, WASH. – Sounders FC was eliminated from Leagues Cup 2023 on Sunday evening following a 4-2 loss to CF Monterrey on the Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field. With the result, Monterrey and Real Salt Lake advance to the Knockout Stage out of the West 2 Group. Seattle now has nearly three weeks off from competitive action, returning to MLS play at home on Sunday, August 20 against Atlanta United (7:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, iHeartMedia, El Rey 1360 AM).
The Rave Green went up 2-0 in the opening minutes courtesy of early goals from Nico Lodeiro and Jordan Morris. After Raúl Ruidíaz was fouled just outside the area, Seattle opened the scoring with Lodeiro sending the ensuing free kick into the back of the net in the second minute. Minutes later, Léo Chú took possession of the ball down the left flank, sending a cross to Morris, who headed the ball into the back of the net in the sixth minute.
Monterrey answered courtesy of Germán Berterame in the 31st minute, who also converted a penalty in first-half stoppage time to level the score before the break. Jordi Cortizo followed up with a goal in the 48th minute for Monterrey's third of the night. Berterame completed his hat trick in the 63rd minute, scoring on a breakaway.
- Sounders FC concludes its run in the 2023 Leagues Cup in the Group Stage, following tonight’s loss and last Saturday’s defeat at Real Salt Lake (0 points in West 2 Group). Leagues Cup is a month-long, World Cup-style tournament featuring every team from Major League Soccer and Liga MX, Mexico's topflight men's soccer league. Seattle previously advanced to the 2021 Leagues Cup Final in a previous iteration of the tournament.
- In Leagues Cup 2023, the top two teams from each group advance to compete in the single-match elimination Knockout Rounds, beginning with the Round of 32 on August 2-4, followed by the Round of 16 on August 6-8, the Quarterfinals on August 11-12 and the two Semifinal matches on August 15. The Leagues Cup 2023 Final and Third Place match are being held on Saturday, August 19, determining the three clubs that qualify for the 2024 Concacaf Champions League.
- Nicolás Lodeiro bagged his second goal of 2023 across all competitions with a free-kick strike in the second minute of play to open Sunday’s scoring.
- Lodeiro’s opening strike was his 58th goal in all competitions for the Rave Green dating back to mid-2016, enabling the Uruguayan to pass former teammate Clint Dempsey for sole possession of fourth place on the all-time scoring list for Sounders FC.
- Jordan Morris notched his first goal since returning from international duty with the United States Men’s National Team, converting a Léo Chú pass in the sixth minute of play for his team-leading 10th goal in all competitions.
- Léo Chú’s hot streak in 2023 continues, with the Brazilian winger earning his first League Cup assist of the season on Morris’ goal. Through 23 MLS matches this season, Chú has three goals and eight assists.
- Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland returned to the starting lineup for Brian Schmetzer tonight, replacing the injured Stefan Frei, who had minor finger surgery earlier this week. Cleveland has regularly deputized for Frei since his arrival in Seattle in 2020, making seven starts in goal during MLS play in 2022, preceded by 15 starts in 2021. Cleveland previously started four games for the Rave Green in earlier this season (two in MLS, two in U.S. Open Cup play).
Seattle Sounders FC 2 – C.F. Monterrey 4
Leagues Cup 2023 – Group Stage
Sunday, July 30, 2023
Venue: Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field
Referee: Bryan López
Assistants: Leonardo Javier Castillo Rodriguez, Rodrigo Sansores
Fourth Official: Daniel Quintero Huitrón
VAR: Óscar Macias Romo
Weather: 70 degrees and clear
SEA – Nico Lodeiro 2’
SEA – Jordan Morris (Léo Chú) 6’
MTR – Germán Berterame 31’
MTR – Germán Berterame (penalty) 45’+2’
MTR – Jordi Cortizo (Germán Berterame) 48’
MTR – Germán Berterame 63’
MTR – Héctor Moreno (caution) 1’
SEA – Nico Lodeiro (caution) 37’
SEA – Jackson Ragen (caution) 72’
SEA – Yeimar (ejection) 86’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Cleveland; Alex Roldan (Reed Baker-Whiting 69’), Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Nouhou (Cody Baker 78’); João Paulo (Josh Atencio 78’), Albert Rusnák (Héber 69’), Jordan Morris, Nico Lodeiro, Léo Chú (Obed Vargas 57’); Raúl Ruidíaz
Substitutes not used: Andrew Thomas, Jacob Castro, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Fredy Montero
Total shots: 10
Shots on goal: 5
C.F. Monterrey – Esteban Andrada; Eric Aguirre, Victor Guzmán, Héctor Moreno (Jesús Gallardo 46’), Sebastián Vegas; Maximiliano Meza, Jonathan Gonzalez (Luis Romo 46’), Omar Govea (Kevin Ortega 69’), Joao Rojas López; Rogelio Funes Mori (Jordi Cortizo 46’), Germán Berterame (Ali Avila 77’)
Substitutes not used: Luis Cárdenas, César Ramos, Edson Guitérrez, Daniel Parra, Stean Medina, Erick Carballo, Victor Lopez
Total shots: 17
Shots on goal: 9
- SOUNDERS FC -