Sounders FC (2-3-1, 7 points) fell 1-0 at home to Inter Miami CF (2-4-1, 7 points) on Saturday evening at Lumen Field. Robbie Robinson scored the game’s lone goal as the visitors earned three points and snapped Seattle’s seven-match unbeaten streak (4-0-3) across all competitions. Brian Schmetzer’s side now hits the road next Saturday, April 23 to face the San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium (7:00 p.m. PT / FOX 13, TUDN, Prime Video, iHeartMedia, El Rey 1360 AM).
After a short turnaround from a midweek Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League road match at NYCFC, Head Coach Brian Schmetzer rotated his squad significantly this evening. Deploying a 4-2-3-1 formation, Schmetzer made 10 changes to the lineup from Wednesday, with Xavier Arreaga as the lone holdover starter.
Inter Miami CF found the net in the 42nd minute when DeAndre Yedlin played a cross in from the left flank that found the body of Robbie Robinson who was able to deflect it past the outstretched hands of Sounders FC goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland. It was a homecoming for Yedlin, who played in Seattle from 2013-2014 after signing as the club’s first Homegrown Player.
• Sounders FC is now 2-3-1 in MLS regular season play and 5-3-4 across all competitions this season.
• Miami snapped Seattle’s seven-match unbeaten streak (4-0-3) across all competitions.
• With a short turnaround from a midweek SCCL road match at NYCFC, Coach Schmetzer rotated his squad significantly this evening, deploying a 4-2-3-1 formation with 10 changes to the starting XI from Wednesday. Centerback Xavier Arreaga was the lone holdover from Wednesday.
• Danny Leyva and Josh Atencio started in central midfield this evening, each making their first start of 2022.
• Obed Vargas, who had appeared in every game so far across all competitions in central midfield this season, made his first start of the season on the wing.
• Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland made his second appearance of 2022 after previously starting at Austin FC on March 20.
• Miami defender DeAndre Yedlin made his return to Seattle, where he signed as the club’s first Homegrown Player and played from 2013-2014 before being sold to Tottenham Hotspur and launching a career in Europe. Yedlin assisted on the game’s lone goal, his first of the season.
• Tonight marked Sounders FC’s first-ever matchup against Inter Miami CF, who joined MLS as an expansion side in 2020.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – Inter Miami CF 1
Saturday, April 16, 2022
Venue: Lumen Field
Referee: Joseph Dickerson
Assistants: Mike Rottersman, Cameron Blanchard
Fourth Official: Brad Jensen
VAR: Kevin Stott
Weather: 44 degrees and cloudy
MIA – Robbie Robinson (DeAndre Yedlin, Leonardo Campana) 42’
MIA – Jean Mota (caution) 32’
MIA – Christopher McVey (caution) 40’
MIA – Gregore (caution) 90’
MIA – Mohammed Adams (caution) 90’+2’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Cleveland; Josh Atencio (Cristian Roldan 46’), Jimmy Medranda (Alex Roldan 46’), Xavier Arreaga, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Kelyn Rowe, Danny Levya (Albert Rusnák 71’); Léo Chú (Nico Lodeiro 85’), Fredy Montero, Obed Vargas; Will Bruin (Raúl Ruidíaz 70’)
Substitutes not used: Stefan Frei, Jackson Ragen, Samuel Adeniran, Nouhou
Total shots: 20
Shots on goal: 3
Inter Miami CF – Nick Marsman; Aimé Mabika, Christopher McVey, DeAndre Yedlin, Damion Lowe; Robert Taylor (Bryce Duke 64’), Jean Mota (Mohammed Adams 83’), Gregore; Ariel Lassiter (Noah Allen 72’), Robbie Robinson; Leonardo Campana
Substitutes not used: Drake Callender, Clement Diop, Emerson Rodríguez, Jairo Quinteros
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 3