SEATTLE, WASH. – Sounders FC (11-9-8, 41 points) played to a 1-1 draw with FC Dallas (9-10-7, 34 points) on Saturday evening at Toyota Stadium. Alex Roldan scored his first goal of the season courtesy of Reed Baker-Whiting’s first career assist, as the Rave Green leave Texas with a road point.
The home side took the lead in the 15th minute, with Jáder Obrian stretching the Seattle defense on a ball from Paul Arriola and finishing past Stefan Frei for the 1-0 lead. Seattle leveled the match in the 57th minute, with Baker-Whiting beating a Dallas defender down the left flank and sending in a looping cross to Roldan, who smashed home a volley for his first goal of the season.
Brian Schmetzer’s side now continues its three-match road stretch with a midweek matchup against the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday, September 30 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (6:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
- Sounders FC remains in second place in the Western Conference with 42 points, seven points shy of first-place St. Louis CITY SC. At the time of writing, the Rave Green sit one above third-place Vancouver and two points ahead of LAFC, Houston and Real Salt Lake.
- Seattle is now 18-10-12 all-time in MLS regular-season and postseason play against FC Dallas, tied for the second-most wins against any team since entering the league in 2009. The two sides also played to a 1-1 draw in their previous meeting this season on July 15.
- Alex Roldan scored his first goal across all competitions this season, the third in his MLS career (regular season).
- Reed Baker-Whiting recorded his first career MLS assist on Roldan’s goal. The 18-year-old started at left back after Nouhou joined the club late this week in Dallas directly from international duty in Cameroon.
- Cristian Roldan came on as a substitute in the 63rd minute, marking his first action since July 22 (concussion protocol).
- Léo Chú was suspended for this evening’s match after receiving two yellow cards against Portland on September 2.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 – FC Dallas 1
Saturday, September 16, 2023
Venue: Toyota Stadium
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistants: Chris Wattam, Claudiu Badea
Fourth Official: Sergii Boiko
VAR: Greg Dopka
Weather: 85 degrees and clear
FCD – Jáder Obrian (Paul Arriola) 15’
SEA – Alex Roldan (Reed Baker-Whiting) 57’
FCD – Paul Arriola (caution) 41’
FCD – Jáder Obrian (caution) 79’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Reed Baker-Whiting (Xavier Arreaga 89’); João Paulo (Josh Atencio 90’), Obed Vargas, Jordan Morris, Nico Lodeiro, Albert Rusnák (Nouhou 63’); Raúl Ruidíaz (Cristian Roldan 63’)
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Ethan Dobbelaere, Paul Rothrock, Fredy Montero, Héber
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 3
FC Dallas – Maarten Paes; José Martínez (Nkosi Tafari 67’), Marco Farfan (Ema Twumasi 86’), Sebastien Ibeagha, Sam Junqua; Facundo Quignon, Asier Illarramendi, Paxton Pomykal (Jesús Jiménez 67’); Paul Arriola (Eugene Ansah 70’), Jáder Obrian (Dante Sealy 86’), Jesús Ferreira
Substitutes not used: Jimmy Maurer, Katlego Ntsabeleng, Liam Fraser, Nolan Norris
Total shots: 7
Shots on goal: 2
- SOUNDERS FC -