SAINT PAUL, MINN. – Sounders FC (10-9-7, 37 points) finished with a 1-1 draw against Minnesota United FC (8-8-8, 32 points) on Sunday afternoon at Allianz Field. Yeimar Gómez Andrade scored the lone goal for Seattle, who earns a road point in the first fixture of a two-match road trip.
Yeimar gave Seattle the lead in the 17th minute with this second goal of the season, heading in a cross from Nico Lodeiro, the Uruguayan’s team-leading ninth assist of 2023. Minnesota leveled the score in the 56th minute via an own goal, with Yeimar inadvertently re-directing a Loons set piece past Stefan Frei.
Sounders FC continues its two-match road trip this week, heading straight to Texas for Wednesday’s matchup against Austin FC at Q2 Stadium (5:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, 950 KJR FM, El Rey 1360 AM). Brian Schmetzer’s side then returns home to face Cascadia rival Portland Timbers on Saturday, September 2 on the Emerald Queen Casino Pitch at Lumen Field (7:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV, iHeartMedia, El Rey 1360 AM).
- With the result, Seattle is in third place in the Western Conference with 37 points, level with RSL and three points shy of second-place LAFC. Seattle now travels to face ninth-place Austin FC on Wednesday.
- Sounders FC is now 11-1-2 all-time against Minnesota across all competitions since the Loons entered MLS in 2017. The Rave Green are amidst a five-match unbeaten run in the series (4-0-1).
- Yeimar Gómez Andrade scored his second goal of the season and sixth in MLS play since joining the league in 2020. His previous strike this season came via a stoppage-time gamer-winner in a 3-2 win at Vancouver on July 8.
- Nico Lodeiro recorded his team-leading ninth assist of the season on Yeimar’s goal. The Uruguayan added to his all-time club record of 93 assists since joining Sounders FC in 2016.
- With the start on Sunday, midfielder João Paulo made his 100th appearance for Sounders FC across all competitions since joining the club prior to the 2020 campaign.
- Head Coach Brian Schmetzer made one change to his starting XI from last weekend’s match vs. Atlanta, with Obed Vargas replacing Léo Chú.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 – Minnesota United FC 1
Sunday, August 27, 2023
Venue: Allianz Field
Referee: Tim Ford
Assistants: Stefan Tanaka-Freundt, Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
Fourth Official: Ismir Pekmic
VAR: Ramy Touchan
Weather: 75 degrees and clear
SEA – Yeimar (Nico Lodeiro) 17’
MIN – Own Goal (Yeimar) 56’
LINEUPS & STATS
**Seattle Sounders FC –** Stefan Frei; Alex Roldan, Yeimar, Jackson Ragen, Nouhou; João Paulo, Obed Vargas, Albert Rusnák (Xavier Arreaga 90’), Nico Lodeiro (Léo Chú 71’), Jordan Morris; Raúl Ruidíaz (Paul Rothrock 87’)
Substitutes not used: Stefan Cleveland, Cody Baker, Josh Atencio, Sota Kitahara, Fredy Montero, Héber
Total shots: 6
Shots on goal: 2
Minnesota United FC – Dayne St. Clair; Miguel Tapias, Ethan Bristow (Ismael Tajouri-Shradi 64’), Michael Boxall; Joseph Rosales, Emanuel Reynoso, Wil Trapp (Sang Bin Jeong 71’), Jan Gregus, DJ Taylor, Hassani Dotson; Teemu Pukki (Mender Garcia 71’)
Substitutes not used: Clint Irwin, Zarek Valentin, Franco Fragapane, Bakaye Dibassy, Eric Dick, Brent Kallman
Total shots: 16
Shots on goal: 4
- SOUNDERS FC -