Seattle Sounders FC today announced, in conjunction with the Seattle Seahawks and Lumen Field and in close collaboration with state and local public health and government officials, an updated health and safety plan for events at Lumen Field, affecting both teams’ home contests during the 2021 regular season and postseason and all events at Lumen Field, the Lumen Field Event Center and WAMU Theater. The new regulations include an immediate adoption of King County’s expanded mask mandate for large events, and plans to require proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative FDA-approved test for entry to games and events, beginning on September 19 with the Seahawks’ first home game of the 2021 NFL regular season. Vaccination verification begins for Sounders FC at the Rave Green’s first home match following September 19, which is October 3 vs. the Colorado Rapids.
“Sounders FC is proud to work with our friends at the Seahawks to take steps forward together in supporting public health,” said Sounders FC Owner & President of Business Operations Peter Tomozawa. “As excited as we have been to welcome fans back to Lumen Field this season, we recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic is not yet over and we want to do everything in our power to continue to provide a safe and comfortable matchday experience to everyone who comes out to the stadium. Part of that means executing King County’s expanded mask mandate effectively immediately, and a larger part is working with the Seahawks and Lumen Field to institute vaccination verification for all of our events. The Seahawks are beginning that process on September 19, and Sounders FC is prepared to follow suit starting with our first home match after that point, on October 3.”
Tomozawa continued, “Vaccinations and the use of face masks are two simple ways that we can all help protect ourselves, our families and our greater community. We need to take care of one another, now more than ever. Mask up and if you’re able to get vaccinated, go get your shot!”
Beginning with Sounders FC’s next home match – this Saturday, September 11 vs. Minnesota United FC – the club is implementing King County’s expanded mask mandate for large outdoor events, announced on September 2, requiring everyone in Lumen Field to be masked at all times, in all areas of the stadium, unless actively eating or drinking while in a ticketed seat or designated meal area. This policy goes into effect immediately with the upcoming September 11 match and will continue through the remainder of the 2021 season and postseason.
Along with the Seahawks, Sounders FC and Lumen Field are further implementing a vaccination verification requirement for all stadium guests beginning with the Seahawks’ first regular-season home game on September 19. This verification program affects all events at Lumen Field, including Seahawks games, Sounders FC matches and any other stadium programming such as concerts or events.
For fans of the Rave Green, this means that the club will implement vaccination verification starting with the team’s October 3 home match vs. the Colorado Rapids. At that time, fans ages 12 and older who wish to attend Sounders FC matches are required to show proof of full vaccination in order to be allowed to enter the stadium. Fans who are not fully vaccinated or do not wish to participate in vaccination verification may still be granted entry with proof of a negative FDA-approved COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of kickoff. At-home, self-administered test results will not be accepted. Children younger than 12 are allowed to enter, with no testing proof required.
In order to qualify as fully vaccinated, a fan must have received the second dose of a two-dose vaccine series (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna) or the single dose of the one-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson / Jansen) at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the match. For example, to be eligible to attend the October 3 home match, such vaccination must be administered on or before September 19.
To simplify the vaccination verification process, Sounders FC encourages all fans ages 18 and older to utilize the free CLEAR mobile app and its Health Pass feature. CLEAR’s Health Pass provides a no-cost mobile experience on the CLEAR app, securely connecting a person’s verified identity to their proof of vaccination. Using CLEAR’s Health Pass vaccination verification system expedites entry and is Sounders FC’s preferred method of vaccination verification beginning October 3.
Minors ages 14-17 can be added to a parent or guardian’s Health Pass account, allowing the minor the ability to then downloaded the CLEAR app, log into their account, add proof of vaccination and generate their own Health Pass. Due to current best practices, CLEAR does not provide a Health Pass for minors ages 12-13. Anyone unable to use CLEAR's Health Pass will be required to provide physical proof of vaccination status at the stadium.
Additionally, to encourage fans who may not yet be vaccinated to do so, Sounders FC is offering special vaccination clinics ahead of its September 11 and 14 home matches.
In partnership with Discovery Health and Public Health – Seattle & King County, the Get A Jab, Get In vaccination clinics give fans the chance to receive COVID-19 vaccinations in exchange for free entry into the matches. Vaccinations are available outside the stadium along Occidental Avenue, between the northwest box office and the Lumen Field Pro Shop. The September 11 clinic is offered from 12:00 – 2:30 p.m. PT and the September 14 clinic is offered 5:00 – 7:30 p.m. PT. Walk-up appointments are accepted, but fans wishing to make appointments ahead of time can do so at the following links: September 11, September 14.
Below is additional information regarding the vaccination requirement that Sounders FC is implementing beginning with its October 3 home match.
HOME MATCHES AND VACCINATED STATUS
In conjunction with the Seattle Seahawks and Lumen Field, beginning on September 19, all events at Lumen Field require vaccination verification for entry. Sounders FC is therefore prepared to implement a vaccination verification system beginning with the club’s October 3 home match – its first home match after September 19 – and continuing through the remainder of the 2021 season and any possible postseason matches.
Beginning October 3, eligibility for entry to Sounders FC matches is based on the following protocols:
• Fans 12 and older must show proof of being fully vaccinated in order to gain entry to matches. “Fully vaccinated” indicates that on the date of the match, it has been at least two weeks (14 days) since an individual and anyone they are purchasing a ticket for (12+) received the second dose in a two-dose vaccine series (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna) or the single dose of the one-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson / Jansen).
- To attend the October 3 home match as fully vaccinated under this protocol, fans must have received their second dose of the two-dose vaccines series or the single dose of the one-dose vaccine on or before September 19.
• Fans 12 and older who are fully vaccinated and show valid vaccination documentation can purchase tickets.
• Children younger than 12 are allowed to attend matches, with no further requirements in place; however, children must also adhere to the prescribed mask mandate.
• Fans 12 and older who are not fully vaccinated or do not wish to participate in vaccination verification may still attend matches, but must present proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of kickoff using an FDA-approved test; at-home, self-administered tests are not valid. These fans, like all fans in the stadium, must also adhere to the prescribed mask mandate.
• There is no onsite testing available. Testing must be completed independently prior to matchday.
Upon arrival at the gate, staff will confirm fan vaccination or test documentation. Once confirmed, fans are allowed to enter the stadium. The following methods are acceptable as proof of full vaccination (if 12 years or older):
• CLEAR mobile app Health Pass verification.
- The CLEAR Health Pass is Sounders FC’s preferred method of vaccination verification. It is strongly encouraged that all guests ages 14 and older utilize Health Pass to provide a secure and expedited entry process.
• Vaccination card (which includes name of person vaccinated, type of vaccine provided and date of last dose administered).
• A photo of a vaccination card as a separate document.
• A photo of the attendee’s vaccination card stored on a phone or electronic device.
• Documentation of vaccination from a healthcare provider, electronic health record or state Immunization Information System record.
• NOTE: Self-reported vaccination records that are not verified by a healthcare provider cannot be accepted.
For fans opting to show proof of a negative COVID-19 rest result, the following methods are acceptable as proof of such a result, obtained within 72 hours of kickoff:
• Printed document (from the test provider or laboratory).
• An email or text message displayed on a phone or electronic device from the test provider or laboratory. The information provided should include name of person tested, type of test performed and date of negative test result.
- Self-reported negative test results that are not from a test provider, a laboratory, or a healthcare provider cannot be accepted. This includes at-home, self-administered tests.
NOTE: All tests must be FDA-approved and verifiable, with the date of the administered test within the 72 hours prior to kickoff.
Documentation of vaccination status and personal identification documentation must be available upon request at any time. Anyone without proof of vaccination or a negative test as described above will not be permitted entry to Sounder FC matches beginning October 3 and through the remainder of the 2021 season and postseason.