Sounders FC began its final week in Tucson with a training session on Monday. Over the weekend, the Rave Green fell to Sporting Kansas City, 3-2, in the fifth match of the preseason. Meanwhile in the Pacific Northwest, Sounders 2 drew 1-1 with the University of Portland on Saturday at Starfire Sports. The First Team has two more matchups in the Desert Diamond Cup this week, beginning with the New England Revolution on Wednesday.
Here are the latest news and notes surrounding the club:
- Saturday’s preseason match against Sporting Kansas City drew a record crowd, according to regional coverage from the Arizona Daily Star. The Seattle Times, The News Tribune, and Sounder at Heart all focused their recaps on the club’s experimentation with the 3-5-2 formation in the match.
- Matt Pentz of The Seattle Times wrote a lengthy profile on Steve Zakuani as he moves forward from a premature end to his playing career. Pentz also posted a write-up on Victor Mansaray, who scored in Saturday’s match. Mansaray received additional coverage from Don Ruiz of The News Tribune.
- Sounder at Heart continued its player profile series with a post on Osvaldo Alonso. The site also featured Kevin Parsemain in his return from injury.
- Prost Amerika posted its fourth installment of an interview with General Manager and President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey.
- Audio coverage is available from Prost Amerika’s Radio Cascadia and Sounder at Heart’s Nos Audietis.
- As always, SoundersFC.com provides full coverage of Sounders FC and S2, including interviews from rookie Cristian Roldan and Head Coach Sigi Schmid, plus Marco Pappa showing what it feels like “To Be A Sounder.”