SEATTLE, WASH. – A 93rd-minute goal from forward Chad Barrett secured a critical point for Seattle Sounders FC in the race for the 2015 MLS Cup Playoffs, as Seattle (14-13-5, 47 points) drew the LA Galaxy (14-9-9, 51 points) 1-1 in front of 56,097 fans at CenturyLink Field and a nationally televised audience on FOX Sports 1. With the draw, Sigi Schmid’s side remains above the red line in the race for the postseason, with Seattle currently occupying fifth place in Major League Soccer’s Western Conference, three points ahead of sixth-place San Jose. Only four points separate five teams between the conference-leading Galaxy and fifth-place Seattle.
Ahead of tonight’s match, Schmid and former Sounders FC goalkeeper/current broadcaster Kasey Keller were honored for their inductions into the National Soccer Hall of Fame, alongside the family of fellow inductee Glenn “Mooch” Myernick (see photo link below for editorial images). Additionally, for the first time in club history, Sounders FC wore its alternate Pitch Black kit in a league match at home. It featured a Halo 5: Guardians theme – the first such mid-season kit alteration in MLS history.
Galaxy striker Robbie Keane put his side into a first-half lead after intercepting an errant back-pass from Sounders FC defender Zach Scott in the 36th minute. The Irishman pounced on the opportunity to slot a shot past Seattle netminder Stefan Frei for his 17th goal of 2015. With nine goals against Seattle (including postseason), Keane is now tied with Chris Wondolowski for the most goals by an opposing player against Sounders FC.
Continuing to battle throughout the contest, Seattle saw a number of chances thwarted by LA’s backline and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts until deep into second-half stoppage-time, when substitute forward Chad Barrett found a crucial equalizer. In the 93rd minute, Marco Pappa fired a corner-kick into the Galaxy area, with Sounders FC captain Brad Evans heading the ball across the six-yard-box to an onrushing Barrett. The forward used his left knee to drive the ball into the back of Ricketts’ net, preserving a point for the home side with two matches to play in the 2015 MLS regular season. Barrett currently ranks third on the club with five goals this season.
Following tonight’s match, Seattle enters a bye week before the final regular season games of the season. On Sunday, October 18 Sigi Schmid’s side heads to Houston for a matchup with the Dynamo. The club’s regular season finale is slated for Sunday, October 24 on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field.
Seattle Sounders FC 1 – LA Galaxy 1
Sunday, October 4, 2015
Venue: Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistants: Jeff Hosking, Felisha Mariscal
Fourth Official: Baboucarr Jallow
Weather: Clear and 64 degrees
LA – Robbie Keane 36’
SEA – Chad Barrett (Brad Evans, Marco Pappa) 93’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Tyrone Mears, Zach Scott, Brad Evans – captain, Leo Gonzalez; Lamar Neagle (Marco Pappa 66’), Osvaldo Alonso, Gonzalo Pineda (Erik Friberg 66’), Andreas Ivanschitz (Chad Barrett 85’); Clint Dempsey, Obafemi Martins
Substitutes not used: Troy Perkins, Jimmy Ockford, Dylan Remick, Andy Rose
Total shots: 12 (Dempsey, 5)
Shots on goal: 6 (Dempsey, 2)
Fouls: 4 (4 players at 1)
Offside: 1 (Neagle, 1)
Corner-kicks: 7 (Ivanschitz, 4
Saves: 2 (Frei, 2)
LA Galaxy – Donovan Ricketts; A.J. DeLaGarza, Omar Gonzalez, Leonardo, Robbie Rogers (David Romney HT); Gyasi Zardes, Steven Gerrard, Juninho (Mika Vayrnen 77’), Sebastian Lletget; Robbie Keane – captain, Giovani dos Santos (Alan Gordon 87’)
Substitutes not used: Brian Rowe, Rafael Garcia, Dan Gargan, Jose Villarreal
Total shots: 10 (Gerrard, 4)
Shots on goal: 3 (3 played tied at 3)
Fouls: 8 (Leonardo/dos Santos, 2)
Offside: 1 (dos Santos, 1)
Corner-kicks: 4 (Juninho/dos Santos, 2)
Saves: 5 (Ricketts, 5)
- Sounders FC is now 14-13-5 in the 2015 regular season with two matches remaining. At 47 points, the Rave Green are fifth in the conference table and maintain a three-point lead over San Jose and Portland, who are currently tied for the sixth and final postseason position.
- After tonight’s draw, Sounders FC is now 4-8-6 all-time against the LA Galaxy, including a 3-3-3 mark at CenturyLink Field. In front of home crowds surpassing 45,000, Seattle has posted a record of 14-2-3.
- Chad Barrett’s equalizer three minutes into second-half stoppage-time is the club’s latest goal in league action this season. It was the eighth time since 2009 that Sounders FC has scored three minutes into second half stoppage time or later (last: Marco Pappa, 90’+5’ vs. LA, 10/25/2014). Barrett ranks third on the club with five goals this season.
- For the first time in club history, Sounders FC wore its alternate “Pitch Black” kit in a league match at home. It featured a Halo 5: Guardians theme – the first such mid-season kit alteration in league history.
- Ahead of tonight’s match, Sounders FC Head Coach Sigi Schmid and former Sounders FC goalkeeper / current broadcaster Kasey Keller were honored for their inductions into the National Soccer Hall of Fame, alongside the family of fellow inductee Glenn “Mooch” Myernick.
- Robbie Keane’s goal in the 36th minute marked his ninth career strike against Sounders FC (six in regular season, three in postseason), which ties him with Chris Wondolowski for the most goals by an opposing player.