SEATTLE, WASH. - Clint Dempsey scored at the end of the first half as Sounders FC played to a 1-1 friendly draw against German side Eintracht Frankfurt Saturday afternoon on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field. After Frankfurt went up 1-0 in the 29th minute when U.S. Men's National Team defender Timmy Chandler assisted on Branimir Hrgota's goal, Dempsey equalized on an assist from Nicolás Lodeiro. Sounders FC now takes a week off from MLS action, returning Wednesday, July 19 in the lone matchup of the season with D.C. United on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field (7:30 p.m. PT / Q13 FOX, KIRO Radio 97.3 FM, El Rey 1360 AM).
The visitors struck first in the 29th minute, with Chandler making a run down the right side before sliding a cross into the area to Hrgota, who held off a Seattle defender and finished past Stefan Frei. The lead didn't last until halftime, however, as Dempsey equalized just before the whistle for the Rave Green. The Nacogdoches native made a dangerous run behind the Frankfurt defense to receive a pass from Lodeiro, then finished with a low shot inside the far post.
With the goal, Dempsey joins Osvaldo Alonso and Lamar Neagle as the only players in club history to record a goal in the MLS regular season, postseason, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League and international friendly play.
Saturday marked the 12th international friendly in club history for Sounders FC, and the second this season after Seattle drew Mexico's Club Necaxa 1-1 on March 24. Overall, the Rave Green are 3-5-4 all-time in friendly play.
Sounders FC Assistant Coach Gonzalo Pineda handled head coaching duty Saturday afternoon in place of Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. Schmetzer is away taking part of his continuing U.S. Soccer pro coaching course, which is being held this week in conjunction with the United States Men's National Team match versus Panama on Saturday in Nashville.
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei (Bryan Meredith HT); Brain Nana-Sinkam, Román Torres (Rodrigue Ele HT), Tony Alfaro, Nouhou Tolo; Harry Shipp (Ray Saari 71'), Gustav Svensson (Francisco Narbon HT), Nicolas Lodeiro - captain (Irvin Parra 76'), Clint Dempsey (Zach Mathers HT), Aaron Kovar (Seyi Adekoya 82'); Will Bruin (Victor Mansaray 67')
Substitutes not used: Shandon Hopeau, Sam Rogers
Eintrecht Frankfurt - Lukás Hrádecky; Taleb Tawatha (Jonathan De Guzman HT), Andersson Ordónez (Danny da Costa 60'), David Abraham - captain (Bastian Oczipka HT), Timothy Chandler (Noel Knothe 60'); Gelson Fernandes, Luka Jovic (Slobodan Medojevic HT), Nelson Mandela Mbouhom (Renat Dadashov HT), Max Besuschkow (Marco Russ HT), Daichi Kamada (Danny Blum 70'); Branimir Hrgota
Substitutes not used: Jan Zimmerman, Makoto Hasebe, Marc Stendera
- After today's draw, Sounders FC is unbeaten in four consecutive friendlies. Since 2009, Seattle holds a record of 3-5-4 in friendly play. Saturday's contest marks the second friendly of the 2017 campaign, with Sounders FC drawing Mexico's Club Necaxa 1-1 in March.
- Sounders FC Assistant Coach Gonzalo Pineda handled head coaching duty Saturday afternoon in place of Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. Schmetzer is away taking part of his continuing U.S. Soccer pro coaching course, which is being held this week in conjunction with the United States Men's National Team match versus Panama on Saturday in Nashville.
- ForwardClint Dempsey scored just before halftime for the Rave Green, joining Osvaldo Alonso and Lamar Neagle as the only players in club history to record a goal in the regular season, postseason, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League and an international friendly.
- Forward Victor Mansaray made his first appearance for the Rave Green this season after his loan to FC Cincinnati ended earlier this month.
- Each Sounders FC player wore a black armband in honor of Nathan Beatty, an eight-year-old Sounders fan and friend of the club who passed away this week after battling Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG).