SANDY, UTAH - Seattle Sounders FC (11-8-6, 39 points) fell 3-0 to Real Salt Lake (12-9-4, 40 points) in a Wednesday evening matchup at Rio Tinto Stadium. Sam Johnson, Albert Rusnák and Corey Baird all scored for the home side as the Rave Green were held scoreless for just the fourth time this season. Currently amidst a stretch of three matches in eight days, the Rave Green now head to Southern California for a Saturday matchup with the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park (7:00 p.m. PT / ESPN2, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
RSL struck first in the 26th minute via Sam Johnson for the newly signed striker's first MLS goal. After a Seattle giveaway, the home side capitalized on the counterattack, playing the ball up the right wing to Johnson, who cut inside and fired a shot that deflected off a Sounders FC defender and into the net past Stefan Frei.
Albert Rusnák made it 2-0 in the 71st minute, connecting on a long distance shot for his ninth goal of the season. After Corey Baird made a long run up the left flank, he cut inside and passed to Damir Kreilach, who laid a ball off to Rusnák for a 20-yard blast inside the far post. Baird then put the game out of reach in the 87th minute as he added a goal to his earlier assist.
Following Wednesday's match, Brian Schmetzer's side travels to take on the LA Galaxy on Saturday, August 17 (7:00 p.m. PT / ESPN2, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
- With today's result, Sounders FC sits in fifth place in the Western Conference with 39 points (11-8-6), 16 points behind Supporters' Shield-leading LAFC and just one point behind of third-place LA Galaxy and the Real Salt Lake.
- Sounders FC is now 10-12-4 all-time in regular season action against Real Salt Lake, including a 1-8-2 record at Rio Tinto Stadium.
- Luis Silva made his Sounders FC debut on Wednesday after being signed on August 8. Facing his former team, Silva logged 62 minutes starting at forward alongside Raúl Ruidíaz. Silva previously spent three seasons with RSL (2015, 2017-2018), scoring 12 goals in 59 regular season appearances.
- Today marked the return to the starting XI for Kelvin Leerdam, who had been out due to injury since July 21 vs. Portland.
- Gustav Svensson made his return to the pitch as a 64th-minute substitute on Wednesday after suffering a hamstring injury vs. Portland on July 21.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 - Real Salt Lake 3
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistants: Nick Uranga, Jeffrey Greeson
Fourth Official: Alex Chilowicz
VAR: Malik Badawi
Weather: 90 degrees and clear
RSL - Sam Johnson (Aaron Herrera) 25'
RSL - Albert Rusnak (Damir Kreilach, Corey Baird) 71'
RSL - Corey Baird (Damir Kreilach) 87'
RSL - Everton Luiz (caution) 52'
SEA - Joevin Jones (caution) 70'
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Kelvin Leerdam (Handwalla Bwana 76'), Saad Abdul-Salaam, Xavier Arreaga, Jonathan Campbell, Joevin Jones; Cristian Roldan, Jordy Delem (Gustav Svensson 64'), Nicolás Lodeiro; Raul Ruidíaz, Luis Silva (Jordan Morris 62')
Substitutes not used: Bryan Meredith, Harry Shipp, Danny Leyva, Justin Dhillon
Total shots: 6 (Lodeiro, 2)
Shots on goal: 0
Fouls: 8 (Three players, 2)
Offside: 1 (Bwana, 1)
Corner-kicks: 3 (Lodeiro, 3)
Saves: 1 (Frei, 1)
Real Salt Lake - Nick Rimando; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad (Marcelo Silva 84'), Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Damir Kreilach, Everton Luiz, Jefferson Savarino, Albert Rusnak (Joao Plata 76'), Corey Baird; Sam Johnson (Justin Portillo 66')
Substitutes not used: Andrew Putna, Brooks Lennon, Kyle Beckerman, Sebastian Saucedo
Total shots: 16 (Rusnak, 4)
Shots on goal: 4 (Rusnak, 2)
Fouls: 8 (Luiz, 4)
Offside: 2 (Johnson/Savarino, 1)
Corner-kicks: 3 (Rusnak, 3)