SEATTLE, WASH. – Raúl Ruidíaz and Harry Shipp each scored as Seattle Sounders FC (10-5-5, 35 points) returned to CenturyLink Field with a 2-1 win over Atlanta United FC (9-8-3, 30 points) on Sunday afternoon in front of a crowd of 38,232. The win extended Seattle’s home unbeaten streak to 13 games (11-0-2), tied for second in club history and one shy of the club record. Today’s result moves Seattle into second place in the Western Conference, one point ahead of third-place LA Galaxy and two points ahead of Minnesota United. The Rave Green continue their busy stretch of three home matches in eight days with a midweek international friendly vs. Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday, July 17 at 7:30 p.m. PT (JOEtv, YouTube TV) before a Cascadia Cup clash on Sunday against the Portland Timbers at 6:30 p.m. PT (FS1, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: https://sndrs.com/amz4r
PHOTOS - IMAGES FOR MEDIA USE: https://sndrs.com/9cmkk
VIDEO - BRIAN SCHMETZER POST-MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE: https://sndrs.com/sra5y
VIDEO – HARRY SHIPP POST-MATCH MEDIA SCRUM: https://sndrs.com/fsy85
VIDEO – RAÚL RUIDÍAZ POST-MATCH MEDIA SCRUM: https://sndrs.com/nmhs3
VIDEO – JORDAN MORRIS POST-MATCH MEDIA SCRUM: https://sndrs.com/s9nva
AUDIO - DOWNLOADABLE POST-MATCH SOUNDBYTES: http://sndrs.com/audio
Playing his first MLS match since returning from a runner-up finish at the 2019 Copa América with Peru, Ruidíaz put Sounders FC on the board first in the 58th minute with his team-leading seventh goal of the 2019 season. After receiving possession at the edge of the area, the Peruvian played himself past Atlanta’s backline with a deft touch of his right foot, finishing cleanly past Brad Guzan to send the home fans into celebrations inside CenturyLink Field.
Josef Martínez equalized seven minutes later, rising above the crowd on a corner kick from Pity Martínez with a powerful header to the near post. It marked the 13th goal of the season for the 2018 MLS MVP, as the Venezuelan international has now scored both Atlanta goals against Seattle since entering MLS in 2017.
Shipp scored the match-winner in the 71st minute for his third goal of the season and 20th of his regular-season MLS career. Nicolás Lodeiro played Jordan Morris down the right flank, and the speedy forward sent a lofted cross to the far post to Shipp for an easy finish and game-winner. It marked the second assist of the season for Morris, who was playing his first match for Sounders FC since May 15 following international duty at the CONCACAF Gold Cup with the United States.
Following Sunday’s match vs. Atlanta, Brian Schmetzer’s side hosts Borussia Dortmund in an international friendly at CenturyLink Field on Wednesday, July 17 (7:30 p.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV). Next Sunday, the Rave Green return to MLS action with a nationally-televised home clash with archrival Portland Timbers at CenturyLink Field (6:30 p.m. PT / FS1, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
- With today’s result, Sounders FC moves into second place in the Western Conference with 35 points (10-5-5), 11 points behind Supporters' Shield-leading LAFC. The club is now one point ahead of third-place LA Galaxy and two points ahead of fourth-place Minnesota United.
- Seattle earned its first win all-time against Atlanta, improving to 1-0-2 against United since the club entered the league in 2017.
- Sounders FC stretched its home unbeaten streak to 13 games (11-0-2) dating back to September 29 of last season. The current streak is tied for the second-longest in club history and just one shy of the franchise record of 14 (10-0-4) set in 2013.
- Raúl Ruidíaz now has 18 goals in 25 appearances across all competitions since coming to Seattle last summer. He leads the club in goals this season with seven.
- Shipp’s third goal of the season was his first since he scored in consecutive matches on April 21 at LAFC and April 24 vs. San Jose.
- Lodeiro earned his team-leading ninth assist of the season. He ranks fourth in MLS in assists, three behind leader Carlos Vela of LAFC.
- Morris and Roldan each recorded their second assist of the season, and are tied for fourth on the club in that category.
- Ruidíaz (Peru / Copa America), Morris (United States / CONCACAF Gold Cup) and Roldan (United States / CONCACAF Gold Cup) all returned to Brian Schmetzer’s starting lineup today following their respective runs in international play. Ruidíaz and Roldan last started for the Rave Green on June 1 at FC Dallas, while Morris had not started for the club since May 15 vs. Orlando.
Seattle Sounders FC 2 – Atlanta United FC 1
Sunday, July 14, 2019
Venue: CenturyLink Field
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistants: Nick Uranga, Eduardo Mariscal
Fourth Official: Joe Dickerson
VAR: Ricardo Salazar
Weather: 75 degrees and partly cloudy
SEA – Raúl Ruidíaz (Cristian Roldan) 58’
ATL – Josef Martínez (Gonzalo Martínez) 65’
SEA – Harry Shipp (Jordan Morris, Nicolás Lodeiro) 71’
ATL – Miles Robinson (caution) 22’
ATL – Michael Parkhurst (caution) 41’
ATL – Franco Escobar (caution) 82’
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC – Stefan Frei; Kelvin Leerdam (Saad Abdul-Salaam 73’), Román Torres, Kim Kee-hee, Brad Smith; Gustav Svensson, Cristian Roldan; Jordan Morris (Jordy Delem 87’), Nicolás Lodeiro, Harry Shipp (Nouhou 77’); Raúl Ruidíaz
Substitutes not used: Bryan Meredith, Xavier Arreaga, Danny Leyva, Justin Dhillon
Total shots: 18 (Ruidíaz/Shipp, 6)
Shots on goal: 6 (Ruidíaz, 3)
Fouls: 8 (Lodeiro, 3)
Corner-kicks: 6 (Lodeiro, 6)
Saves: 1 (Frei, 1)
Atlanta United FC – Brad Guzan; Franco Escobar, Miles Robinson, Leandro González Pirez, Brek Shea (Michael Parkhurst 7’; Vázquez 77’); Eric Remedi (Emerson Hyndman 67’), Darlington Nagbe; Gonzalo Martínez, Julian Gressel, Justin Meram; Josef Martínez
Substitutes not used: Brendan Moore, Mikey Ambrose, Dion Pereira, Gordon Wild
Total shots: 12 (Castellanos, 9)
Shots on goal: 2 (Castellanos, 2)
Fouls: 8 (Ring, 6)
Offside: 4 (Moralez/Tajouri-Shradi, 1)
Corner-kicks: 5 (Moralez, 8)
Saves: 4 (Stuver, 4)
Post-match soundbytes from Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer, midfielder Harry Shipp and forwards Raúl Ruidíaz and Jordan Morris are available for download via the following link: http://sndrs.com/audio.