Sounders FC today announced a number of civic activations scheduled to take place throughout the Puget Sound region in the coming days, as community institutions join with the club to spread excitement and pride around the greater metropolitan area surrounding the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Several area landmarks plan to glow Rave Green this week, ahead of Saturday’s first-round postseason match against FC Dallas at CenturyLink Field (12:30 p.m. PT / FS1, FOX Deportes, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
2019 marks the 11th consecutive season that Sounders FC has qualified for the MLS Cup Playoffs, which sets a new league record as the longest all-time postseason qualification streak.
- All Washington State Ferries sailing into and out of Colman Dock on Bainbridge and Bremerton routes on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19 will fly Sounders FC flags.
- Pike Place Market, one of Seattle’s most iconic and well-trafficked locations proudly displays its support for Sounders FC as Market celebrity Rachel the Piggy Bank dons a Sounders FC scarf on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19. Sounders fans are encouraged to help bring good fortune to the Rave Green by stopping in to take advantage of the area legend that promises luck to those who rub Rachel’s snout and make a wish. All donations to the Market Piggy Banks support services in Pike Place Market, so fans can give to a good cause while bringing luck to Sounders FC and capturing one-of-a-kind Seattle photographs.
- Earlier this week, the club donated Sounders FC soccer balls to Woodland Park Zoo for animal enrichment. Grizzlies, wolves, snow leopards, river otters and penguins all enjoyed special activities designed to encourage play and mental stimulation as part of the zoo’s excellent animal care program. Media can access photos of the event at the following link: https://sndrs.com/tfzge.
- The Russell Investments Center, through building owner CommonWealth Partners, returns with its popular “Born in ‘74” Sounders-themed lighting on Friday, October 18, which hearkens back to the club’s 1974 founding, complete with an 18-story “74” displayed in the windows along its west façade.
- The Allen Institute, founded by late Sounders FC owner and Seattle icon Paul Allen, lights green on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19.
- The SR 520 bridge is scheduled to light its sentinels Rave Green on Friday, October 18.
- Columbia Center and its crown lighting will glow green in support of Sounders FC on Friday, October 18.
- The Seattle Great Wheel will light the waterfront Rave Green on Friday, October 18.
- CenturyLink Field and its recognizable arches are scheduled to light Rave Green on Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19.
Following a 1-0 Decision Day win over Minnesota, Sounders FC (16-10-8, 56 points) owns the second seed in the Western Conference heading into the 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs and is set for first-round matchup with seventh-place FC Dallas (13-12-9, 48 points) on Saturday.
With new postseason formatting this season in MLS, clubs play in three rounds of conference playoffs: the first round, Conference Semifinals and Conference Finals. Each round now consists of one single-elimination match, with the higher-seeded opponent as host. By securing the second seed in the postseason, Seattle is guaranteed homefield advantage up until the Conference Championship should the club continue to advance.