SANDY, UTAH - A pair of second-half goals was the difference as Sounders FC (2-7-2, 8 points) fell at Real Salt Lake (7-6-1, 22 points) Saturday evening at Rio Tinto Stadium. Facing off for the second time in eight days, the Claret and Cobalt won 2-0, following last Saturday's 1-0 result at CenturyLink Field. Following today's match, Seattle plays two more matches in seven days, beginning on Wednesday with a Fourth Round Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matchup at Sacramento Republic FC before returning home to host D.C. United next Saturday (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
RSL found the net in the 57th minute of play courtesy of Baird, a rookie out of Stanford. Damir Kreilach played Danilo Acosta behind the Seattle defense on the left wing for a shot on target that was denied by Stefan Frei, but Baird was in position to head in the rebound to give the home side a 1-0 lead.
Luis Silva made it 2-0 in second-half stoppage time, taking advantage of Frei pushing forward into the Seattle attacking third for a set piece. After RSL made the clearance, Silva scored from 35 yards out on an empty net.
Following Saturday's match, Sounders FC hits the road to face Sacramento Republic FC in the Fourth Round of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, June 6 before hosting D.C. United on Saturday, June 9 on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field (7:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
- Saturday's result marks the third consecutive loss for Seattle as the club falls to 2-7-2 on the season. With eight points, Sounders FC remains tied with the Colorado Rapids for 11th place in the Western Conference.
- Seattle is now 9-11-4 all-time against RSL in MLS regular-season play, including just one win in 11 meetings (1-8-2) at Rio Tinto Stadium.
- Brian Schmetzer organized his team in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Cristian Roldan and Jordy Delem playing in front of today's back four. Kelvin Leerdam started at right midfield today for the first time this season, while Jordan McCrary slotted in at right back.
- Will Bruin returned to the starting lineup for Seattle after missing the previous two matches with a plantar fascia tear. The striker leads Sounders FC with three goals so far in 2018.
- Víctor Rodríguez made his 2018 debut when he came on as a substitute in the 74th minute. The Spanish winger had yet to make an appearance in 2018 due to a right knee sprain.
- Magnus Wolff Eikrem did not travel to Utah after suffering a foot contusion in training late this week.
LINEUPS & STATS
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Jordan McCrary, Kim Kee-hee, Chad Marshall, Nouhou; Jordy Delem (Harrt Shipp HT), Cristian Roldan - captain; Kelvin Leerdam (Lamar Neagle 64'), Clint Dempsey, Alex Roldan; Will Bruin (Victor Rodriguez 74')
Substitutes not used: Calle Brown, Waylon Francis, Tony Alfaro, Henry Wingo
Real Salt Lake - Nick Rimando; Brooks Lennon, Marcelo Silva, Justen Glad, Danilo Acosta; Kyle Beckerman - captain, Damir Kreilach, Sunday Stephen (Nick Besler 90'); Jefferson Savarino, Corey Baird (Luis Silva 74'), Joao Plata (Sebastian Saucedo 41')
Substitutes not used: Connor Sparrow, David Horst, Aaron Herrera, Pablo Ruiz